Mascara Monday is a series I started so I could test out drugstore mascaras to try and find the best ones.
I have oily eyelids. Let’s get that out of the way, first off. Often that excess oil that’s not soaked up by my eye makeup makes its way down to my lashes causing my mascara to disintegrate. This means that mascaras that are recommended as ‘Holy-Grail-does-not-budge’ mascaras, crumble down under my eye by mid-afternoon.
My criteria for choosing the mascaras are as follows:
- must be available in an actual store (no web-only products)
- $15 CAD or under
- full-sized products only (ie. no travel sizes from Sephora or other retailers)
- non-waterproof formula
- black/very black depending on the brand
What I’m looking for in a mascara:
- builds good volume and length
- no clumping
- does not crumble or smudge during the day (ie. leaves a blackish dust under my eye)
My plan is to wear each one every day for a week, and report back on its performance.
And by week, I mean 5 out of 7 days. If it’s my day off and I’m not going anywhere, putting on makeup, even just mascara, is pointless.
So without further ado, here’s the list of mascaras tested and to-be-tested!
- Maybelline – The Rocket Volum’ Express (Very Black)
- Cover Girl – The Super Sizer (Very Black)
- Joe Fresh – Lash Plump Volumizing Mascara (Black)
- Annabelle – Full Blast Mascara (Black)
- Rimmel ScandalEyes Reloaded (Very Black)
- e.l.f. Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara (Black)
- NYC Volume by the lash Mascara (Extreme Black)